Food Education & Workforce
Growing educated stakeholders, informed youth, and a robust food sector workforce.
The Council works to educate Rhode Island’s population to ensure that everyone knows how to be a good food system citizen, and to encourage those who want to find a career in the food sector to explore the opportunities it presents.
We seek to engage every teacher on important food system issues so that every child learns in school about how their food is grown, harvested, and processed. We support high school programs that lead to food sector careers and Associate and Bachelor’s degree programs designed to ensure a robust workforce educated to meet the current and future needs of the state food sector businesses.
- Policy for the People: 2023 Legislative Review | 8/22 @ 11am
- Policy for the People: Meet our new municipal food system factsheets | 9/19 @ 12:30
- Policy for the People: Announcing RIFPC 2024 Legislative Priorities! | 10/17@ 12:30
- Policy for the People: The Federal Farm Bill: Challenges and Opportunities | 11/8 @ 12:30
- Policy for the People: Food Advocacy 101 | 12/12 @12:30
- CCRI Associate’s Degree Program in Environment, Sustainability, and Management – open for enrollment now!
- University of Rhode Island Cooperative Extension Master Gardener Program open for enrollment now!
- URI launches community food waste and access education program! – open for enrollment now!
- University of Rhode Island Food System Fellows Program open for enrollment now (for mentors and fellows)!
Partnerships & Projects
- Community College of Rhode Island Associate Degree Program in Environment, Sustainability, and Management
- URI launches community education effort to address food waste and access issues
- RI Nursery and Landscape Association
- Rhode Island Environmental Educators Association
- URI GemsNET – Guiding Education in Math and Science
- Hosting public education events on key food system topics
- Lead legislative roundtables to inform elected officials about our policy priority areas
- Support middle school teacher training programs covering our food system
- High school Career and Technical Education programs in agriculture, culinary, and other food sector-related fields
- Help create and strengthen existing in-state Associate and Bachelor degree programs