The RI Food Policy Council seeks a part-time paid Municipal Food Systems Intern.
The primary objectives of the person in this role are to:
- Update the information in our Municipal Food System Fact Sheet series
- Work with a small group of Council and municipal advisors to create a 1-2 page
document that shares high-level ideas for how municipal governments can
use their Municipal Food System Fact Sheet to improve their local food system
- Use existing resources from other states to develop a RI-specific handbook
explaining the role of municipal governments in local food system
development (e.g., through planning, development, health, schools, public
works, public safety, and climate resilience)
The ideal candidate for this position will be:
- Interested in food systems and/or municipal planning. Someone who wants
to understand how towns and cities can use data to effect positive change
- An accountable teammate. Someone who manages time well, is highly
organized, and can be counted on to work either independently or
cooperatively. A helpful-in-nature person who enjoys “owning” projects, but
understands the importance of checking in and being responsive to the team
- A good listener and an excellent writer. Someone who is comfortable
reaching out via phone and email to individuals in state agencies, nonprofits,
and community-based organizations to collect data, and who can write up
ideas and information in a compelling, accessible manner
- A true believer. Someone who is committed to making Rhode Island’s food system more just and resilient
This is a part-time position working 10-15 hours per week at $15 per hour. Start date is flexible, with work initiating in early September and continuing through the fall.
Please note: We encourage applications from individuals who believe they possess the key competencies and can demonstrate ability to execute the responsibilities, even if you do not have every listed qualification/skill.
Individuals who want to apply should send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Municipal Food Systems Intern” in the subject line. A writing sample is appreciated, but not required at this stage.