By The Numbers
Since it started in 2008, Bonus Bucks has significantly impacted the ability of low-income shoppers to take advantage of Rhode Island farmers markets. In 2018:
- Number of farmers and producers who sold at 9 Farm Fresh RI-operated farmers markets: 195
- Number of farmers markets in Rhode Island that participated in Bonus Bucks: 31
- Bonus Bucks transactions at RI farmers markets in 2018: 6,120
- Bonus Bucks distributed to SNAP shoppers at farmers markets statewide: $125,878
- Number of shoppers who increased their power to buy fresh produce: 2,801
Ensure Food Security for All Rhode Islanders
This program directly increases the ability of low-income residents of Rhode Island to buy fruits and vegetables from farmers markets.
Farm Fresh RI’s Bonus Bucks program has had serious impact on Rhode Island since its inception. The program provides $1 bonus for every $1 spent with SNAP at participating farmers markets. Already this has benefited the state’s low-income population immensely, not only by increasing their spending power but also by providing it in the form of access to healthful food options. Beyond this, farmers are benefited as Bonus Bucks increase the number of people who frequent the states farmers markets to buy local food. The first year of the Bonus Bucks program alone saw an increase SNAP sales by over 600% across Rhode Island farmers markets!
This Rhode Island Story was prepared by Nhu Phung.